I was raised in California's Silicon Valley by my mother, an artistic woman with a passionate voice, and my father, a man with a love for reading who became a research chemist. My parents are both first generation Americans. In 1959, my father left his family in New Jersey to drive across the country to California and pursue his dream of being the first in his family to attend college. At this time, tuition for California's community colleges was free for residents. He began his journey at Porterville Community College and eventually earned his Ph.D. with the support of my mother. This story inspires me to support public higher education and the needs of diverse learners. Risk-taking, creativity, and innovation were part of my back-drop growing up in Silicon Valley. I connected these values in graduate school, by studying the history of art and photography.
I believe that being an educator today is a gift, as we are amidst the greatest learning revolution in history. Technology will continue to enable a future where learning is inclusive and accessible to all, but teachers -- not tools -- will fuel this shift. Designing human-centered learning experiences is our new focus.
- Working for CSU Channel Islands as Innovations Lead on the Teaching & Learning Innovations team. I work remotely with my awesome team. Learn more about our humanizing approaches for remote work here.
- Writing for EdSurge
- Wrapping up the 2nd edition of my book, Best Practices for Teaching with Emerging Technologies
- Developing a humanizED podcast
- Working on developing a series of Great Online Teachers Seminars (contact me for info!)
- Speaking with faculty around the nation (invite me to your event!)
- Loving my family
- Spoiling my dog
- Feeling grateful for every single day of my beautiful life
- Dreaming about a trip to Italy
- Learning from everything...always
- Ed.D. Educational Leadership and Management, Capella University
- M.A. Art History, University of California, Riverside
- B.A. Studio Art/Photography, San Jose State University
- 2011, Educator Advancement Scholarship, Capella University
- 2010 , Sloan-C Effective Practice Award
- 2009 Edublog Award
- 2007, Sloan-C Excellence in Online Teaching Award
- 2007, NISOD Teaching Excellence Award
- 1997, 1998 - UCR/California Museum of Photography’s History of Photography Fellowship
- 2015, How to Humanize Your Online Class, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative (ELI), online workshop
- 2014 & 2015, Advisory Board, NMC Horizon Report, Higher Education
- 2015, Conference Chair, Online Learning Consortium/MERLOT, 8th Annual Emerging Technologies for Online Learning Symposium
- 2014, Conference Chair-Elect, Sloan-C/MERLOT, 7th Annual ET4Online
- 2012, Member of the California Education Technology Taskforce
- Pacansky-Brock, M. (2015).Examining the effects of an eBook to support faculty who teach with VoiceThread: An action research study. (Doctoral dissertation).
- Pacansky-Brock, M. (2014). Learning out loud: Increasing voluntary voice comments in online classes. In Lowenthal, P., York, C., & Richardson, J. (Eds.), Online learning: Common misconceptions, benefits, and challenges. Nova Science.
- Pacansky-Brock, M. (2013). How to humanize your online class with VoiceThread. Smashwords.
- Pacansky-Brock, M. (2012). Best practices for teaching with emerging technologies. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Pacansky-Brock, M. (2012). From open access to open learning: How emerging technologies are leveling the learning landscape.OnCUE Journal, Spring 2012, 10-11.
- Online Teaching Conference, Humanizing Online Learning. June, San Diego, CA.
- West Los Angeles College (keynote), Making Stuff: How Digital Content Can Improve the Relevancy of Education. May.
- OLC Innovate (workshop), Crafting Stunning Presentations, co-presenter: A. Michael Berman. April, New Orleans, LA.
- OLC Innovate (general session), Re-imagining Faculty Development: Organic Innovation for Change, co-presenters: Jill Leafstedt, Jaime A Hannans, Kristi O'Neil. April, New Orleans, LA.
- University of Wisconsin System, Office of Professional and Instructional Development (OPID). Keynote Speaker. Spring Conference. Humanizing Online Learning. April.
- Seattle Pacific University (Invited Speaker). Inclusivity in the Digital Classroom. March.
- CSU Media Common Interest Group, Making Stuff: How Digital Media Can Improve the Relevancy of Education. Online presentation. January.
- Moorpark College, Faculty Flex Day (Invited Speaker). Humanizing Online Learning: the Secret Sauce for Student Success. Online presentation. January.
- Loyola Marymount University, (Invited Speaker). Humanizing Online Learning. October. Los Angeles, CA.
National University Teaching Network (NUTN) Annual Conference, (Keynote). Straddling the Chasm: Rethinking Faculty Support. September. Savannah, GA.
- Course Redesign Institute, California State University Chancellor's Office. Invited speaker. Conversations in the Cloud: VoiceThread. June. Rancho Cordova, CA.
- Online Teaching Conference (Concurrent Session). How Teaching Online Changed Me (moderator of panel). June. San Diego, CA.
- New Media Consortium, Annual Conference. Conflicted Identities: Reconsidering the Roles of Faculty. June. Washington, D.C.
- New Media Consortium, Annual Conference. The Liquid Photograph. June. Washington, D.C.
- LinkedIn, Corporate Headquarters, (Keynote). The Fractal Life: Harnessing Social for Authentic, Agile Living. User Experience Design, All Hands Meeting, Mountain View, CA, July.
- Rasmussen College, (Keynote). Risking It All: Learning in the Social Era. Rasmussen Academic Symposium North and South, Minneapolis, MN and Tampa, FL, June.
- Online Teaching Conference, (Concurrent Session). The Center: An Online Learning Community for California's CC Faculty, San Diego, CA, June.
- Online Teaching Conference, (Concurrent Session). Creating a Mobile-Friendly, Humanized Syllabus with Populr.me. San Diego, CA, June,.
- Skyline College, (Invited Speaker). How to Humanize Your Online Class: A Faculty Workshop. San Bruno, CA, May.
- Sloan-C International Emerging Technologies Symposium for Online Learning, (Invited Session). Learning Out Loud: Changing Student Mindsets About Voice Comments. Dallas, TX. April.
- Cuyahoga Community College, (Keynote). Teaching in The Dark: Learning to Love What We Fear. Tri-City EMerge Conference. Cleveland, OH, March.
- Technology Innovations & Pedagogy Conference (Keynote), Humanizing Learning with Emerging Technologies, Fresno State, Fresno, CA, January 13.
- State University of New York (SUNY) (Invited Speaker), How to Humanize Your Online Class. SUNY Learning Network Online Summit 2014. New York, NY, February.